Background

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Long Time

Well, a lot has happened since I last posted.

My mother-in-law has been in town, so we have been doing lots of fun stuff. We went to the Palmyra Pageant last Saturday, and then Niagara Falls on Sunday. (Funny story: We rented a car to go to these places, and at a gas station in Palmyra, Mike got out of the car and heard a very short, very fat 10-12 year old child point out our car to his father and then call it a wiener car. The car was a Chevy HHR. Since then, we've seen these cars all over, and refer to them as the wiener car.)

Then on Monday I had a 'performance interview'. I had to teach 6 adults a lesson. I thought it went fairly well. That same day I got a call back from the school and they offered me the job! It was so exciting because we've been out of work for so long, so it is nice to know that a paycheck will be coming. I am teaching 8th grade math. I only have 3 classes, a low-end pre-algebra, regular pre-algebra, and algebra 1. I am really excited to start. On Thursday I went and had a tour of the school. Each classroom has a smart board, and the principal told me that he'd give me an Elmo as well!! They have really cool programs that they do with the kids throughout the school year, so I am really excited!

When I first got to where I am, I interviewed with the school district that I am living really close to. I hadn't heard from them when I accepted the position, so I didn't think much about them. The next day (tuesday) I got a call while I was shopping. They offered me the position as well! When it rains, it pours!!

Last night we went to a chili cookoff in honor of Pioneer Day. There was some really good chili, cornbread and apple crisp. YUM!

We finally opened a bank account, and the guy helping us was really helpful. He told us of some fun things to do here. There is a small amusement park with only one big ride. Well, he informed us that admission to the park is free, and you only have to pay to ride the rides, and that this large rollercoaster is way worth the money, so I think Mike and I are going to go try it out today.

There is also a festival going on today. I think I am going to go tour a Coast Guard thing...I can't remember what it is, but since Dustin is in the Coast Guard, I think I should know a little more about it!

Well, there was our week-at-a-glance. Now that Mike is starting school (on Monday), I should have more time to keep up with this!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you updated this! It has been too long since you wrote! CONGRATS on getting not one, but two job offers! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new employment! I sounds like you will really enjoy the school. How did the amusement park adventure pan out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We actually didn't end up going...Mike had an open house at his school that we went to instead... We're still planning on going though so I'll let ya know!

    ReplyDelete